Saturday 13 November 2010

Sixth Seal, M25 extension, Muslims and University

So there's a theory popping around the Internet suggesting that there may be a major Earthquake in New York City tomorrow (an Earthquake that measures 7.0 and above on the Richter scale).
It's been theorised that the Earthquake will be the "Sixth Seal" (oooh, biblical terminology):

"And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?"

I'm not entirely sure of the meaning, it sounds quite graphic however - almost like an Armageddon,  but I think it's referring to the death of Christ and the world falling apart because of it - the Sixth seal has broken apart all the elements. That's just me rambling now...
Anyway, if the Earthquake does happen (I'm not one to predict such drastic things, but I'm praying (and doubting) that nothing will happen), then New York's infrastructure will be torn apart. The buildings are not built to withstand major earthquakes, but could resist small quakes that are around 4.0 and below. Historic buildings like the Empire State Building may crumble (I've been there, too), many people could potentially lose their lives due to the high density of the City (with a permanent population of around 8.5million), any major quake will be devastating.If you're interested in viewing a quick video about the scenario then watch this

Secondly, I was informed today that the M25 is going to be extended to around the Hutton area. I haven't heard anything about this, so it came to me as a shock. Fortunately for me, where I live, it won't personally affect me through environmental, visual or noise pollution. However, for some people, it will be "in their back yard", leading to NIMBism related protests. While this will mostly drop house prices for those within visual and acoustic range, house prices within a suitable distance will most likely receive a price increase of their house due to improved transport links (if there's a change at all that is, and yes, I spoke to an estate agent about it, so it's not waffle). Currently, I've found no sources of information about it, but it's certainly controversial news.

As you may have heard, there has been a lot of debating over the issue of a small group of Muslims burning poppies during the two minute silence, held on Armistice day - 11/11/10; a date dedicated to remembering all those who have fought on home and foreign soil, providing and conserving freedom of people all around the world, past and present. I admit, it's always the minorities which provide the stereotype for the masses - just like in this case. A minority of the Muslim beliefs abused freedom of speech and suddenly the whole religion has been generalised. Generalisation of this incident is a mix of peoples ignorance and the medias abilities to fear monger on every religion which roots are around the middle east; or basically any religion than isn't Christianity. Sadly, there isn't much we can do to prevent such actions taking place, in reality, we're hardly going to extradite anyone in this country unless they are on the CIA's most wanted list for example - they're in our country and due to social sensitivity, the only way they're leaving it is through deportation due to an expired visa; in the end our society will remain multicultural and different religions will need to coexist peacefully, however I believe there will always be clashes between viewpoints, such as this one. I know, I need to work on my wording for socially sensitive issues....
Secondly, I feel as if people are simply exploding about this issue due to the culture clashes - I don't remember anyone commenting on things like http://www.news.com.au/world/scottish-soccer-club-airdrie-united-mistakes-nazi-soldiers-for-australians-in-remembrance-day-program-fail/story-e6frfkyi-1225954232466 ; even though it no where near as severe, people didn't seem to notice this on social networking sites.


Finally, I WENT TO MY FIRST UNIVERSITY OPEN DAY TODAY!I popped on down to Oxford Brookes and had a whirl of a time, totally like their Geography course and the one lecturer I met, plus their teaching technique is quite new and experimental from my point of view, but sounds great none the less! (just a -tad- costly...)

No comments: